It's Valentine's Day. Six weeks since New Year's. Six weeks since I pledged to change my bad behavior of being a munch mouth into good behavior of taking better care of myself.
I mistakenly chose to begin the day by stepping on the scale. I should have known better. It's never a good sign when you wake up feeling like you just finished eating dinner.
The scale and I have never been friends, not since the first day we met 24 years ago. Occasionally we can at least tolerate each other, but we mostly just go through long periods of not speaking. I'm definitely not the scale's biggest fan and I try not to let it run my life (or ruin my life, as the day may be).
But as this day, Valentine's Day, progressed, I thought I'd approach my old nemesis with something I've never brought to it before...Love. Love for what it doesn't measure...my worth, my beauty, my self.
I love you, scale...and for one day I'm willing to let you in to where my true worth lies. Not in a number or a dress size, but in my heart and my mind and my spirit. No matter how big or small I am, you'll never be able to measure how much I love my husband. Or how quickly I would give my life for my children. There is no weight for the friendship I try to offer those in need. And you cannot put a number on what I have learned as I have gotten older. You cannot measure that and you cannot measure me. Only God and I can do that. So for today, I will love you and I will love myself. Without condition or judgment. Just open-hearted love.
And P.S...Did you know it's six weeks from Valentine's Day to Spring Break?....I'm just saying.....
View the entire Project 52 collection

