I was asked a question recently that reminded me of a line from one of my very favorite movies. I answered it fairly briefly and quickly within the context that it was asked. It's still lingering though, rolling around in my head and picking up steam from all of the other random thoughts that I have floating around in there.
I decided that I could probably add more juice to my answer, but only if I can do it the same way that it was done in one of my very favorite movies. (Bonus points if you know what that is.)
So, What DO I believe in then? (I have to ask it like that because that's the way it was asked of me....)
Well....
I believe in family. Family always comes first.
I believe in the union of man and woman.
I believe that absence makes the heart grow fonder.
I believe that out of sight is out of mind.
I believe in using real cream in my coffee. None of that fake, soy, lite, flavored crap.
I believe that chocolate can make you feel better, no matter what is going wrong.
I believe in the changing of the seasons.
I believe in a woman's right to choose.
I believe that a good skin care routine will make you look younger which will make you feel better.
I believe that grief and jealously are not rational emotions.
I believe that the only things that are about me are those that I do and say and feel of my own volition.
I believe in the power of prayer to bring comfort and peace during times of despair and devastation.
I believe in telling the truth, and being truthful with one's self...always.
I believe that a little, white lie is okay sometimes if it will spare someone some pain or stress that really isn't worth the pain and stress of it.
I believe in turkey on Thanksgiving, roast beef on Christmas and ham on Easter.
I believe in romance, and that keeping it alive takes effort.
I believe that the paintings of Thomas Kinkade are soft, sappy, commercialized drivel.
I believe in a higher power.
I believe that everything has a purpose.
I believe that children can be a gift and the most destructive creatures on the planet at the same exact time.
I believe in art.
I believe in the creative process.
I believe in the library.
I believe that Madonna is, was, and will always be the Queen.
I believe my partner is my best friend and that I should treat him that way.
I believe in routine and schedule.
I believe that anger comes from fear, frustration, betrayal, guilt, grief, and any other emotion you want to throw in there. It does not stand on its own and the actions and words that are born from it cannot be taken personally.
I believe in always doing your best and trying your hardest.
I believe in running on the top half of your gas tank.
I believe in being entertaining and artistic whenever possible. Life should be art.
I believe in always knowing exactly how much money you have in the bank.
I believe that you can attract more bees with honey than with vinegar.
I believe you get back what you give out.
I believe that a smokey eye and a nude lip are the perfect make-up for any occasion.
I believe that it is what it is.
I believe that good communication skills cannot be beat.
I believe in the power of the written word.
I believe in sitting down at the table together every night for dinner.
I believe in being together.
I believe in spending time alone.
I believe in love at first sight. Trust me on this one.
I believe that a phone call received deserves a phone call returned.
I believe in allowing people to be who they want to be, and never asking them to be less.
I believe in jack-o-lanterns. And candy canes. And daisies.
I believe you should pay it forward.
I believe in good customer service.
I believe people do what works for them.
I believe that feelings from my gut will always lead me in the wrong direction, but feelings from my heart will always take me home.
I believe that God gives you exactly what you need exactly when you need it, and not a second sooner or later. And not an ounce more or less.
I believe in unconditional love and acceptance.
I believe in the office of the President of the United States.
I believe that the forces that divide us are not nearly as strong as those that unite us. I didn't write that, but I love that.
I believe we are stronger as as unit than we are as individuals. I didn't write that either, but I love that, too.
I believe there's always room for one more.
I believe in an open door policy.
I believe that all women deserve to wear white.
I believe in an afterlife, but I don't know that I can wrap my arms around what that looks like.
I believe that I start with me, and that all I can do is my best. That all I can live is a good life. That all I can be is who I am, and that hopefully, in the end, I will be rewarded.
I believe that religious beliefs and political views should never, and I mean NEVER, be discussed, debated, mentioned, talked about, batted around or thought of among friends or family.
I believe that if someone is brave enough to ask the question, they deserve an answer.
~L.











No comments:
Post a Comment