Monday, May 23, 2011

Project 52 ~ Week 21 {The Need for Speed}

I, personally, feel responsible for this week's theme, and I'll tell you why.

You'll recall, won't you, that my image from last week's Spring Fever theme started off with a daisy (pretty, but a bit of a yawn) and was replaced with a speeding merry-go-round full of laughing children (just teaming with excitement and emotion).  It looked something like this:


Remember? 

Cut to me sitting at the computer on Saturday morning, anxiously clicking into my group to find out our new topic for the week, and then shaking my fists at the sky and shouting "WHAT THE...!@#$"  Now, you want to do The Need For Speed?

Obviously they had seen my merry-go-round image, and been inspired.  My group moderators around the world decided that this week's theme should have something to do with speed after I posted my image from the baseball field playground after my son's game.

That can't just be a coincidence, right?  That has to be a testament to my image.

So, really, I should take this as a compliment.  Why are you laughing?

Fine.  Forget it.  You win. 

I still had a problem though?  What was I supposed to do to show speed?

Oh!

Wait!

I know!

PANNING!!

I've been wanting to try it again, since I really didn't get it right the first time.  Panning, for those who don't know, is a technique achieved by keeping the subject in the same position of the frame for the duration of the exposure.  Basically, you follow the subject with the lens, using a slower shutter speed and taking multiple images as they move.  Because the lens is following the movement of the subject, and the shutter speed is fast enough the capture the motion, but too slow for clarity, the movement is clear and the background is blurred, thus creating the illusion of speed.

Class dismissed.

Okay....So here's my go at it.

1/60, f/11, ISO 400
Pretty cool, huh?  I love that his back foot is moving so fast that it actually blurred itself right out of the image.

Just to make sure I got it right, I tried it again with something else.  This time, though, I did it in reverse.  I adjusted shutter speed a tad, and rather than follow the subject, I kept the camera still. 

1/30, f/10, ISO 200

There you have it.

I have to say it.  I can't help myself.  I thought I could get through the whole post without saying it, but I can't.  You know what I'm talkin' about.....

"I feel the need, the neeeeed for speeeeed....Yeowwww!"

And P.S. ~  I swear to all that is Chocolicious, if next week's theme has anything to do with running or a kid or a train, I will find those moderators.

I promise.

But....Love you all!

XOXO

L.

No comments:

Post a Comment