Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Say Good Night, Chickie

The chicks officially moved in almost four weeks ago.  I admit, I've been a tad......unwelcoming.  But, they started it with the whole flying out of the box in my face thing.

Never mind.

Anywaaayyyy.....They're here and I don't anticipate them going anywhere anytime soon, so I've really been trying my darnedest to get along with others.


I offered them an olive branch in the form of Italian Parsley from my garden.  They were sceptical, but they chipped at it (Of course they chipped at it, they're birds....ridiculous, creep....No.  Be friends.  Get along, get along, get along.....)


I've let them wander around my feet without shooing them away.  Although, if I make even the teeniest, tiniest move, they all go squawking to the other side of the coop.  Whatever....


And I've taken their pictures every which way to Sunday.

Prince Charming took me out last night for a quiet, backyard date.  We hadn't seen each other much during the day, so a few peaceful moments perusing the yard together were lovely.  He opened up the chick cage and his favorite jumped right into his hand.  I started to back away, but decided to just sit with it.  Try to be more of the hostess my mother raised me to be.  I didn't object.  I didn't back away (much).  I was just quiet with them.


It was getting dark, so we turned on the light inside their house.  As they made their way up the ramp to tuck in for the evening, I was struck with really how beautiful they are in form.  Their silhouettes illuminated in the doorway.


As I sat at the edge of the coop, clicking away (you could say I was a Clickin' Chick....but, that would just be obvious and silly.  Yeah, totally.  I know....) I took a moment to admit what I've been trying to hide, and that is this:

I like having the chicks live with us.

I like their little red hen house.

I like the way it looks in our backyard.

I like that my kids are so excited about them.

I like that Prince Farming is so excited about them.

I like that it makes me feel like I'm living on farm in a beautiful countryside.


So, fine.  Secret's out.

I like the chicks.

And I love you for taking the time to read about them.

Smooches!

1 comment:

  1. Very well written...oops...I think I shed a tear... Keep sharing the love!

    ReplyDelete