Friday, June 17, 2011

Last Day

Technically, the last day of school isn't until next week, but ever the cool mom that I aspire to be, I've allowed my son to make this his last day.

The Cool Mom thing aside, there were a myriad of reasons for this.  I'll share.


1.  It's not his fault that it snowed.

2.  It's not his fault that they cancelled school when it snowed.

3.  It's not his fault that they now have to make up snow days from when they cancelled school.

4.  It's not his fault that we had already scheduled a Father's Day trip before it snowed because school was originally supposed to be out today.

5. It's not his fault that we'll be back in time for him to go to school on the actual last day, but that we all know that the actual last day is just a assembly and whatever.  And that my mother NEVER let me miss that, no matter how much I begged her.  The whole idea of which circles back around to my Cool Mom thing.


So, it's the last day of school, and for the next two and a half months, I won't have to...

Wake him up early.

Hound him about getting dressed, brushing his teeth, putting on his shoes and getting in the car.

Wonder how much he has left in his lunch account.

Be there to pick him up on time, lest he have to wait a moment.  "Moooom!  I've been waiting!"

Argue with him about what constitutes an appropriate reading book.

Argue with him about what constitutes an appropriate study environment.

Argue with him about what constitutes an appropriate writing utensil.

Argue with him about what constitutes an appropriate bed time.  Although that one will still probably come up every now and then.

It's summer.  Time to relax and eat ice cream and walk on the beach and keep the doors open until late at night and breathe in that fragrant, flowered air and play with the chicks (well...not me, but, you know...), and throw the ball and drink sangria and lemonade and iced tea and mojitos and take pictures in the light of that golden hour.


Right up until September 1st rolls around again and then I have to do it all over...twice.

Kindergarten and all that.

Have a great summer!

Hugs,

LL

1 comment:

  1. Awe. Your son looks older from first to last day. I hate it when I can see that in my own children. =) By the way, I too will be juggling a Kindergartner this fall. Fun times ahead, I'm sure. - Trisha

    ReplyDelete