Friday, August 26, 2011

Brownies and Other Friday Tidbits....

First off, let me just say there is no football in this post. 

Well, maybe a little at the end, but nothing right now.


THE FAN

My day started at 6:30 when I got out of bed to start opening up all the doors and windows to let in the cool morning air.  If I don't do this, Whosits next to me starts to get grousy about how hot the house is and why don't we have the doors and windows open to let in the cool morning air.  We usually leave everything open until the temperature gauge on the furnace says "Arctic Circle" then we run around and close everything up to keep it cool in the house all day, which means that no one can go in or out all day without being blasted with,  

"KEEP THE DOOR CLOSED!"

Normally, we have the air conditioner on, but it's been on the fritz the past few days and the grousy-ness is really starting to set in.  Not that it's super hot or anything, but this is Seattle, so when it gets over 75 degrees, we may as well be in Africa.  Prince Charming even brought a fan home from work which we have positioned out on the deck.  And when I say fan, what I mean is gale force wind machine.  It has three speeds - Fast, Funnel Cloud, and Category 5 Tornado Advisory....all of which are fun to turn on and scream into


or, alternatively, to turn your head sideways and look like a supermodel.


Either way, I've decided it's just easier for everyone if I get up at dawn and open everything up.  Princey Boy isn't so princey when he gets hot.


THE BROWNIES

The other reason I was up at 6:30 this morning was to make brownies.  I signed up to bring something for the cake walk at my son's football pep rally tonight (no, that's not the football part), and when I asked him what he thought I should bring he said brownies, which was odd because he hates chocolate.

I know.  Freak.

Anyway, I've been banned from using the oven or stove in any capacity while the air conditioner is on the fritz, so in order to get these done, I had to make them at 6:30 in the morning, while the house was still cool.

I have three tips for you on making brownies for a football pep rally:
  1. In a pinch, tin foil is not a substitute for parchment paper.  Foil sticks, even when you spray it with Pam.
  2. Never leave your 5 year old choco-holic munch mouth alone in the room with the pan of brownies or you'll come back to a big finger trail through the center of the pan.
  3. If it's at all possible, make them from scratch.  The box stuff from the store is just crap....but frosting and sprinkles can make anything look good.
So, if you happen to be at the Kent Knights Junior Football and Cheer 2011 Pep Rally tonight, and you decide to take a cake walk, these are my brownies:



THE PEP RALLY

I've never been to a pep rally before, but I've heard about them.  They always seem fun.  Kind of loud and spirited and full of people dressed in team colors.  I've been to a pep assembly, but I think that's different.  From what I understand, however, they are the same in that attendance is mandatory  

(All players must be in attendance!  This counts as their practice for the day!  You will be here!)  

but different in that pep assemblies don't cost money  

(In addition to the fact that you must be here, you must also buy an activity bracelet for $10 so that your kid can participate in everything we have going on, but if you want any of the food, that costs extra.)

Let's have some fun out here.  This game is fun, alright?....Fun goddammit.


THE PICKLES

In addition to my brownies, I also had to make pickles this morning.  This is the third batch of pickles I've made this summer.  Really, this month.  Charming loves pickles.  No, I mean he LOVES pickles.  I think he'd marry a jar if he could.  I wouldn't be jealous or anything because pickles can't hold your hand or tell you how yummy your blue, blue eyes are.  So he can obsess over the pickles all he wants.  But, he doesn't love soggy pickles, so I have to make the cold batch kind which have to be kept in the refrigerator.  I've made about 147 jars of pickles and am rapidly running out of fridge space, so if you have any you can spare, I'd love ya'.

I tried out a new recipe for them this morning with red peppers, onions, jalapenos and extra garlic.  I've decided to call them "Pretty Much Guaranteeing The Fact That I'm Not Kissing You Today".  

I'll let you know how they turn out....



MY FAVORITE PICTURES OF THE WEEK

In no particular order....




That's the football part....See, I told  you it was just a little.  This is actually a recreation of a shot I took a couple of years ago of a guy on the varsity squad.  He was a nice boy who helped me out with a shot I had in mind and I loved it.  It looked like this:


So, if you know Keith, tell him his legacy lives on and will continue to every year my kid plays ball.


LAST, BUT NOT LEAST

Although, maybe it should be least.  This is what my son found to play with today.  He calls it a Skink lizard from Missisouri.  I call it wash your hands with soap and don't bring it in the house.


Alrighty.  I think that's about it.  We'll call that a week.

Have a great weekend, gang!  I love ya'!

Double L.

No comments:

Post a Comment