It was raining pretty hard as my daughter and I made our way through the rows. She remembered being there last year, but was still trying to understand that all the grass was not meant for her to run and dance and play on.
"It's not a park," I told her. "This is a serious place and we need to behave seriously."
"Okay....," she said, then a moment later, "Oooooo, Mom! Look at these pretty flowers! Can I keep them?"
It wasn't all making sense to her. As we walked, and then drove, through I explained to her just what this place was meant for. I still stand in bewildered awe of the sacrifices made by the soldiers, their families, and all of those who love and remember them.
The only way to achieve true immortality is in the hearts of those who loved us
and the thoughts of those who remember us.
I "met" this young man as I photographed last year. He'd been killed in action. I had photographed his headstone. When I arrived this year, I was immediately drawn the beautiful bouquets of roses that had been left at either side of a headstone. As I approached them, I realized they belonged to my friend, Brian. He was someone's son. He was someone's friend. He was only 24 years old.
It seems like every time I visit Tahoma, there is a service going on. These gentlemen were saluting a procession at it passed by.
With love and gratitude for the sacrifices of all who came before me and all who will follow.
They fell, but o'er their glorious graves floats free the banner of the cause they died to save.
~









Thank you again Lisa for the pictures and words that capture my heart. And also for reminding me of the sacrifices made and continuing to be made by soldiers and their families. I will join your attempts to explain such a place to your little one as I try to make better sense of Monday’s “day off of school” with my students and kiddos. A moment’s pause to explain such things is surely the least I can do.
ReplyDeleteWell said. Great photos!!
ReplyDeleteI love these pictures Lisa. Thank you for doing something to help honor these fallen soldiers and for helping others to not forget.
ReplyDelete